What is Video Thumbnail?
An image that acts as a preview picture for a video is called a video thumbnail. It does to a video what a book cover does to a book.
Thumbnails are used in all types of media files. The still image you see while looking at a folder or an audio file are all categorized as thumbnails. Video thumbnails give viewers insight into what the video might contain. It is an excellent way to peak interest in viewers and drive video engagement or impressions.
Prerequisites for YouTube Thumbnails
To create a video thumbnail for youtube, there are some official guidelines and directions to follow:
- File size should be less than 2 MB
- The aspect ratio should be 16:9
- The resolution must be 1280*720
- There should be a minimum width of 640 pixels
- It should be in .JPG, .GIF, .BMP, or .PNG format
Uses of a Video Thumbnail
- They are key in driving impressions and attracting more eyeballs
- A catchy thumbnail catches the interest of potential viewers
- A good thumbnail is accurate and gives context to the video; it helps viewers understand what the video is about
- Thumbnails that evoke interest in viewers help retain them for a longer time
- They are often the reason why viewers share the videos within their network.
How to make your video thumbnail stand out?
- Use vibrant, clear, and eye-catching previews.
- Use contrasting colors that stand out.
- Use a white or monochromatic background to make the content stand out
- Use the rule of thirds to place objects of interest
- Use bold, strong fonts to write important information
- The colors of the font should contrast with the background
- Font size should be easy to read on all devices