What is Video Editing?
The process of manipulating and rearranging video footage after shooting to create the final product is called video editing. It is a part of the post-production process. Video editing could include:
- Rearranging video clips
- Adding or removing sections of video footage
- Making color adjustments, applying filters, and adjusting brightness, contrast, etc
- Inserting transitions between video clips
- Merging different videos or trimming
- Embedding subtitles or adding video overlays
Reasons for Editing Videos
There are many reasons for editing a video. The editing process will depend on the creator and their vision for the final product. But in most cases, video editing is done to accomplish goals including but not limited to:
- Removing unwanted footage: There might be unwanted, and excess content shot during production. This extra content can be removed while editing.
- Choosing the best footage: Video creators typically have multiple footages of the same content. Editing is where they choose the best out of the lot to use in the final product.
- Adding graphics and music: Mixing music, sound effects, and graphics are done to enhance a video's value and make it more appealing
- Maintaining the flow- Raw footage may be choppy and jumbled. A good editor creates coherence in the video to boost the overall purpose of the video.
Top Video Editing Apps
Applications that enable users to edit their videos on a computer or other screens like tablets or smartphones are called video editing applications. Some of the major video editing apps include:
- Vimeo Create
- Adobe Premier Rush
Top Features of a Video Editing App
- Video editing should include basic editing tools for color adjustments, audio mixing, graphics, etc.
- It should have built-in AI-oriented tools to automate video editing elements such as scene recognition.
- It should have export options based on the format you require for different platforms and devices.
- It should include a library of royalty-free graphics, music assets, and videos.
- The best video editing apps allow multiple video and audio formats and resolutions up to 4k and 8K.
- It should have cloud-based storage for efficient collaboration and project management.
- New-age video apps also come with 3D compositing, animation tools, VR content editing support, 360-degree video, and more.
- Other handy features include fast encoding, resequencing, built-in video effects, and integration with social platforms for quick sharing of videos.