What is Video streaming?
Video streaming is the continuous transmission of video files from a server to the client's device. It enables the user to view the video file without having to download the whole file. TV shows, movies, Youtube videos, etc., can all be transmitted by video streaming.
How does streaming work?
Video streaming works by sending compressed files through the internet and reaching clients in real-time. The video files are continuously sent over the internet as the viewer views them. The client requires a medium referred to as a player to decompress the compressed data.
Some of the Popular Video Streaming Services are Netflix, Prime Video, Disney +, Twitch and Hulu.
Benefits of Video Streaming
- No Downloading Required: Streaming denotes the continuous transmission of audio or video files from a server directly to the client. Viewers can watch videos without downloading the data.
- Different Resolutions: Viewers can choose to watch videos in various resolutions dispensing on the device and internet bandwidth. Major streaming services support resolutions up to 4k.
- Choice of Platform: Users can choose from various streaming platforms to watch videos. As major streaming services compete with each other, viewers have access to exclusive content.
- Variety: Various platforms are always coming up with various shows and films. The video streaming scene is so broad, and its variety is astounding. Users can choose between TV shows, movies, documentaries, or user-generated content.
- Live Streaming: Video streaming allows for the live streaming of content happening in real-time. This allows viewers to enjoy concerts and such live events.
Challenges of Video Streaming
- Bandwidth: Since the videos in streaming services are of higher quality, it also requires higher internet bandwidth to play these videos. If several devices use a large amount of data simultaneously, streaming videos will become difficult.
- Low performance of devices: If the device used for streaming is older or is not updated, the video streaming will also be affected. The device might slow down, and streaming might drop out.
- Copyright issues: Content creators should be aware of copyright issues that might arise in their content. This is especially true for live streaming. Content creators should ensure to restrict copyrighted content like music from appearing in their streams.
Streaming vs. Downloading
- In video streaming, the video is continuously transmitted and played simultaneously. This video is not copied or saved. Creators can also opt for live streaming as the event takes place in real-time.
- Downloaded content must be copied and saved on the device before viewing it. You cannot play the video while it is being downloaded.